Bergamo International Airport (sometimes
advertised as 'Milan-Orio al Serio', or Milan-BGY) is well connected by low cost flights to
numerous European cities.
Orio al Serio Airport is only 5 kilometres off the city centre. From the airport you can take a bus to the city centre or to the Upper Town
(Città Alta) or a short taxi ride (ca. € 15-20).
If you land in Milan Malpensa, you can get to Bergamo
- by train, taking
Buses leave from Terminal 1 (the same buses also call at Terminal 2); you can buy tickets from the driver standing by the door of the next bus to leave
- Malpensa Express to Milano Centrale railway station: on-line
- Malpensa Shuttle Air Pullman to Milano Centrale railway station: on-line tickets
- by bus, taking the "Orio Shuttle"to Bergamo.
If you land in Milan Linate, you can get to Bergamo by train taking a bus from Linate Airport to Milano Centrale
railway station and from there the train to Bergamo.
Trains run every hour from Milano Centrale to Bergamo from 7.20 to 23.40 (except for a gap between 8.43 and 11.20); for more detailed
information, see the timetable of the Italian Railway Company, which has pages
in English. Cost: ca. € 5 (ca. € 6 1st class).
From Bergamo station to your hotel
- you could wheel your suitcase from the station to Piemontese, Mercure, Cappello d'Oro, or Arli. Other lower-town hotels can be
reached by a short taxi ride.
- Upper town hotels can be reached by a short taxi ride, or by taking the No. 1 bus (about every 10 minutes; tickets from the
newsagent's at the station) immediately outside the station entrance. No. 1A goes right round the walls — good views — and ends up just
outside the entrance to the upper-town ('Colle Aperto'); No. 1 goes to the funicular — also an interesting ride — which you can
take with the same ticket.