By the end of the course, students will acquire knowledge and skills related to methods of analysis and modeling of healthcare processes.
Furthermore, students will acquire a good theoretical and practical understanding of the lean management principles and techniques.
The Healthcare Operations course (MOD1) can be attended as a single course or integrated with the Simulation techniques in healthcare processes course (MOD2).
1.INTRODUCTION TO HEALTHCARE OPERATIONS
2.GENERAL ASPECTS RELATED TO THE PROCESSES
• What is the meaning of process, how a process is studied, how it is represented (e.g. flowcharts), how it can be simulated.
• Characterization of AS-IS processes.
• Introduction to Blueprinting and BPMN.
3.PRODUCTIVITY AND PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT
• KPI identification for process analysis.
• Implementation of KPIs in simulation models.
Process mapping and management – application to the Alpha Case.
4.LEAN PROCESS MANAGEMENT
• Principles of lean management applied to healthcare processes
• Main lean management methods and tool (e.g. 5S, VSM, .) and related examples
Muda and VSM – application to the Alpha Case.
The final exam consists of a compulsory written test. In addition, students can develop an optional assignment that will contribute to the final grade with an additional score.
For students attending both modules there will be a single written exam and a single assignment.