No compulsory prerequisite. Recommended prerequisites: basic knowledge of Statistics and fluency in English
The course provides the fundamental statistical techniques that allow students to become familiar with quantitative methods that are most commonly used for management problems. The course has an application-oriented approach, with special focus on interpretation of results. Students will learn how to apply techniques to real data. Case studies will be presented.
1. Comparing the means on two or more groups (two-sample tests and ANOVA)
2. Understanding and measuring strength of the relations: simple, multiple and partial correlation
3. Simple linear regression for modeling business variables
4. Multiple regression for multivariate environments
5. Introduction to panel data to model dynamics
6. Logistic regression
7. Introduction to data management and data analysis with Stata (graphical analyses, hypotheses testing, linear regression, basic panel data analysis, and logistic regression)
• Statistics for Business and Economics, Eight Edition - P. Newbold, W.L. Carlson, B. Thorne - Pearson
• Lecture notes
• Moodle course with lecture material
PRACTICAL CLASSES (STATA):
• Data Analysis Using Stata, Third Edition – U. Kohler and F. Kreuter – Stata Press
Lectures and practical classes using Stata. During the course, students will receive assignments on a regular basis, in order to help them be aware of their level of understanding.
Test (in laboratory) consisting of theoretical questions, exercises to be solved by hand, and exercises to be solved using Stata.
Two partial tests (in laboratory) during the course period, consisting of theoretical questions, exercises to be solved by hand, and exercises to be solved using Stata. Final mark is the average of the two test marks (if both are sufficient, i.e. mark greater or equal than 18).
Attendee students, who have regularly attended lectures and submitted on time ALL the assignments, can get a maximum of 3 extra points on the grade of the final exam based on the quality of their work.